The #2 Cause of Premature Aging
If the sun is the number one cause of premature aging, then too much sugar in our diet is the runner up. Its a well known fact that eating too much cake causes us to gain excess pounds, and not so well known that eating too much cakes causes wrinkles to show up earlier, too. Hooray! (Mental note, I will not be serving cake at my 40th birthday party, lol.)
Here's how it happens.
The process of excess sugar bonding to proteins in our body is called glycation. When this happens two things occur:
- It hardens the collagen and elastin fibers in our skin.
- It creates free radicals.
Why is this bad?
Collagen is what keeps our skin full and supple.
Elastin is what keeps our skin tight and lifted.
When they harden because of excess sugar, it gums up production. Now, all of a sudden, our collagen and elastin isn't producing as much as it used to and what little we have left gets destroyed by the free radicals glycation created. All of this means only one thing: your skin is thinning and sagging prematurely at an accelerated rate because of excess sugar in your diet.
7 signs of glycation on your skin:
- Age spots
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Inflammation or general ruddiness
- Sagging and bagging
- Collagen degradation
- Cross hatch lines
- Hardness of the skin
Treating and Fighting Glycation
Now, you know I wouldn't bring a topic like this up without a way to combat it. There's a lot we can do to slow down glycation and pre-maturely aging skin.
- Cut your sugar intake in half.
- Omega 3 supplements to inhibit glycation damage.
- Anti-oxidant rich products and foods to protect your skin from free radical damage.
- Regular SPF use.
My favorite product to treat glycation is Eminence's Rosehip Triple C + E Firming Oil. Not only is it great at reducing signs of aging but it also works as a preventative. Key ingredients:
- The oil-based vitamin C disarms free radicals, increases collagen production, strengthens capillaries, and lightens pigmentation.
- Rosehip oil is my #1 favorite oil and is a superior choice to coconut oil. Rosehips are a natural rich source of anti-oxidants, anti-inflammatory, and great for restoring barriers.
- Seabuckthorn Oil promotes hydration, elasticity, and helps with problem skin.
So, don't be like Lindsay Lohan, the poster child for too much sun and sin (sin as in alcohol, which is high in sugars) and take control of glycation on your skin. Mention our blog and get $10 off your purchase of Eminence's Rosehip Triple C + E Firming Oil for the month of December. Get your skin in shape with us because how old you are is your business, but how old you look is ours.